This coming Sunday is the 4th of July, the day those of us in the United Sates celebrate Independence Day.
It’s the day we celebrate our social and economic freedom.
Since it falls on Sunday this year, it’s a really great opportunity to do a youth group lesson on Independence Day focused on the topic of freedom… spiritual freedom found in Jesus.
So, I put together a youth group lesson for you to use on the 4th of July.
This is a different than what we normally do, which is to create a word-by-word transcript.
We simply provide the Bible verses and outline, giving you the opportunity to add content of your own to the lesson.
Hope you and your family have a great 4th of July!
–Nick Diliberto, Ministry to Youth
YOUTH GROUP LESSON ON INDEPENDENCE DAY
Topic: Freedom in Jesus
- Today on the 4th of July we celebrate Independence Day commemorating the Declaration of Independence, on July 4, 1776.
- It’s a day we celebrate our social and economic freedom.
- Today we’re going to talk about another type of freedom – spiritual freedom.
The Bible has a lot to say about how Jesus brings us spiritual freedom.
Read the following verses:
“It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.”
Romans 6:7 – “For one who has died has been set free from sin.”
2 Corinthians 3:17 – “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”
John 8:36 – “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”
Romans 6:18 – “You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.”
Romans 8:2 – “For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.”
Main Point – Because of Jesus, we are free from the penalty and power of sin in our lives.
- The Bible says the penalty from our original sin is separation from God forever
- But Jesus paid the penalty of our sin when he died on the cross.
- Romans 6:23
- Prior to surrendering our lives to Jesus, sin has power over us. We’re slaves to sin.
- When Jesus came back to life after dying on the cross, he beat the power of sin for all of us.
- When we surrender our lives to Jesus and follow him, we have access to the same power through the Holy Spirit to overcome sin in our lives.
- We’re no longer slaves to sin. We are free from it’s power!
- Doesn’t mean that we will never sin again, but it does mean we have access to the Holy Spirit living inside of us to overcome the power of sin in our lives.
- We have the choice to ask for God’s power and strength when faced with temptation. When we rely on him, he always gives us what we need to resist temptation.
- Spiritual freedom is an invitation that Jesus gives to us all.
- It’s a free gift that we cannot earn nor do we deserve.
- As we celebrate the 4th of July today, we also celebrate the freedom that Jesus extends to all of us.
Optional – Give students an opportunity to surrender their lives to Jesus.
Looking for youth ministry curriculum? Check out our featured curriculum below.
EXCLUSIVE YOUTH CURRICULUM – One year of strategic youth ministry totally done for you! 52 teaching lessons, 77 small group lessons, 4 youth group events and 6 training sessions. Designed for students in 6th-12th grade.
EXCLUSIVE PRETEEN CURRICULUM – One year of new and exclusive preteen ministry curriculum designed to help 4th-6th graders explore their faith and wholeheartedly follow Jesus.